At the end of this unit, students should be able to:
- Learn about many of the positive functions microbes perform in the environment.
-Bacteria and other microorganisms are, in fact, essential to maintaining life on Earth
-Microbes, especially those that belong to the Domains Bacteria and Archaea, live in the most widely varied habitats on Earth.
- Describe the freshwater and seawater habitats of microorganisms.
- Explain how wastewater pollution is a public health problem and an ecological problem.
- Discuss the causes and effects of eutrophication.
- Explain how water is tested for bacteriological purity.
- Describe how pathogens are removed from drinking water.
- Compare primary, secondary, and tertiary sewage treatment.
- List some of the biochemical activities that take place in an anaerobic sludge digester.
-Define biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), activated sludge system, trickling filter, septic tank, and oxidation pond.